Kazakhstan's energy sector is preparing to transition to best available technology (BAT) principles
The international center for green technologies and investment projects (ICTIP) together with the Ministry of energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan holds an International conference "Transition of Kazakhstan to the principles of BAT: state and prospects". The main purpose of the Conference is to introduce and discuss the experience and practices on the transition of industrial enterprises to the principles of the best available technologies (BAT) and their adaptation in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The Conference will consider international experience, as well as the analysis of the readiness of enterprises of the energy sector of Kazakhstan for the transition to the principles of BAT. For the study of the energy sector, information was collected on 45 power plants and recommendations were developed for the energy industry. According to the forecasts of the ICTIP, the process of transition to the principles of BAT will be carried out within 10 years from 2020 to 2030.
According to the Head of the International center for green technologies and investment projects Rapil Zhoshybayev, for the industrial and energy sector of Kazakhstan, the practical implementation of BAT today is of key importance, given the Concept for the transition to a green economy, adopted by Kazakhstan in 2013. In order to achieve the set key indicators to reduce energy intensity, increase the share of renewable energy in the energy balance, waste processing, water quality, proposals are being developed to update the Environmental Code, which lays the Foundation for green reforms.
Issues impeding the introduction of innovative technologies and the development of industries, the development of proposals for an integrated approach to solving these problems have become one of the priorities of the International center for green technologies and investment projects.
Also during the Conference, Deputy Chairman of The Board of the Association of environmental organizations of Kazakhstan Askhat Suleimenov shared his vision of the situation: "First, we propose to stimulate the introduction of the best available technologies by big business through co-financing or through other methods of support. It is proposed to introduce the concept of eco-responsible investment or green financial instruments. Secondly, local Executive bodies should also be jointly and severally responsible for the state of the environment. All implemented environmental measures should have the final calculated target effect".
During the Conference, the international center for green technologies and investment projects and the Bureau of BAT of the Russian Federation signed a Memorandum of cooperation.
The best available technologies (BAT) are a modern tool for ensuring environmental safety.
The environmental code of the Republic of Kazakhstan establishes the following concept: "the Best Available Technologies (BAT) are used and planned industry technologies, machinery and equipment that provide organizational and management measures aimed at reducing the negative impact of economic activities on the environment to ensure environmental quality targets."
Main conclusions of the energy sector analysis.
- The actual emissions of pollutants at Kazakhstan's stations are significantly higher than the permitted values of the European Directive, at the same time they are within the requirements of the Kazakhstan Technical regulations.
- The transition to the principles of BAT for industry will reduce the impact on the environment and improve the competitiveness of Kazakhstan's enterprises through the renewal of fixed assets, the creation of energy-efficient production facilities. Reduction of administrative sanctions for violation of environmental legislation.
- A significant reduction of emissions (to achieve higher European standards) is possible under the condition of significant investments in technological equipment of thermal power plants of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- The transition to the principles of BAT for industry will update fixed assets, create energy-efficient production facilities, increase the number of high-performance jobs, reduce the payment of fines for violations of environmental legislation.
- The analysis of the requirements of BAT of international standards shows that in the process of assessing BAT special attention should be paid to the income and benefits from the modernization of the energy sector.
- A characteristic feature of BAT is that the main task of technological regulation is not the establishment of the "upper bar", which should seek all enterprises of the industry, and the gradual displacement of the most "dirty" and outdated industries.
Environmental situation in Kazakhstan.
The main air pollutants in the Republic of Kazakhstan are manufacturing industries, power generation enterprises, as well as mining, construction, chemical, oil and gas processing.
Most of the analyzed stations (more than 70%) have equipment aged from 30 to 60 years. The largest emissions are from coal-fired plants with significant wear and tear of equipment using coal.
In fifteen cities of Kazakhstan, the level of air pollution by harmful emissions has been increased. The most difficult situation with the state of the environment in the Karaganda region - in 2016, about 593 thousand tons were released into the atmosphere. pollutants, or 26.1% of the total volume in Kazakhstan.
Astana, building "Beijing Palace Soluxe Hotel Astana", 2nd floor, conference hall "Silk Way»
The press service of the IGTIC
Marat Muchamedsaliev +7776 9994099
Zhamilya Naseken +7701 7411007